free/

Sunday, March 13, 2011

First Robin of the Spring

The snow from our latest storm has finally melted.. Thursday night-Friday morning we got about 5" of that wet March stuff.. honestly, am really sick of it.. But hubby saw the first robin this morning in the back yard.. a sure harbinger of spring.. Next thing I have to start checking is the northward migration of the hummingbirds.. There's a site that lets you track their sightings.. its so much fun to track their journey north :=) I now believe they really do come back to the same place every year.. I have a hook on the back porch we hang our sugar-water filled feeder on, but one spring I hadn't hung it yet.. and one day I saw a hummer circling around the hook and he then went to our big picture window and flew up and down to attract our attention.. My jaw dropped and I hurried to get out the feeder and make my sugar-water!! I mix 3 parts of water and 1 part sugar and heat till sugar is melted.. I never add red color as the feeder is red and you don't know whats in that stuff anyway.... Use real sugar, not honey or artificial stuff... And do change it regularly as it gets jucky.. especially in warm weather..
Only 4 more days till we leave for Ireland!!! What an adventure it's going to be :=) Last night Bobby Flay had a special on the Food Channel about food touring in Ireland.. He spent a lot of time around Cork (that's near our cottage) then toured some places in Dublin.. We'll see if any of it is affordable!!
Heard from our friends who are already there... They're scouting pubs and local music spots, so they'll be well-informed when we get there!!
Will try to write again before we leave.....

No comments:

Post a Comment